Grub Problem in ubuntu

edited November 2017 in Help
Hello

I accidentally deleted some files via the terminal, after restarting my server, grub directly go to rescue mode.
I haven't experienced this before so I'm making this post, maybe someone here had encountered this.

Error:
Grub loading.
Welcome to GRUB!
error: file '/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

Basically, some important grub files are deleted, after searching for solutions, I came up with some solutions that I must copy some files from the CD or image for the original normal.mod file. My problem is I don't know how to access the terminal in rescue grub rescue mode.

Hope someone here can help or point me to the right direction.

PS: i dont have a snapshot of my server before the problem occurred so reinstalling snapshot is not an option as i need my files on the server.

Update : after searching for a while and experimenting with the grub rescue prompt I found out that the /boot directory on my server was missing.
So now I'm checking whether is there any way I can get the original /boot diretory to copy on my server.

Comments

• edited November 2017
    For scenarios like this, Vultr's Custom ISO feature is generally a life saver since it allows you to mount a recovery ISO and fix up your instance. There are many ways you can do this and we offer several tutorials on this topic in Vultr Docs: https://www.vultr.com/docs/
  • Hi Mike, I follow the custom iso link you had given me on the ticket. Backup files and database and then restore an old snapshot. Upload back the backup files and database. So far it's okay.

Thanks again.