Do you pay for your server when it's off?

edited June 2014 in Help
Do you pay for your server when you have turned it off?

Comments

• Do you charge for stopped instances?

Yes, instances in a stopped state continue to reserve dedicated system resources (RAM, SSD storage, IP aliases, CPU) and therefore incur charges until you destroy the instance. If you wish to no longer accumulate charges for a virtual machine, please use the DESTROY button in the customer portal.

https://www.vultr.com/faq/
  • Hello Justin,

Yes, though this is something though other Cloud Hosting Providers e.g. Digital Ocean or Amazon Web Services do not charge for instances that are in a stopped state, this is why I am considering moving from Vultr to Amazon Web Services or Digital Ocean.

Though are some features that I enjoy from Vultr, E.G. Cheap IP addresses and PayPal payments.

Though you claim that stopped instances use dedicated system resources for example RAM SSD STORAGE IP ADDRESS AND CPU. Though in theory it only uses SSD Storage and IP addresses, nor in theory does it have to reserve it because you can restart the server on a different node.

Something else that Digital Ocean providers better is the Connection Speeds though this is something I am not argue about.
  • You could always take a snapshot of your instance before destroying it, then restore that snapshot when you're ready to start it again. This would almost certainly result in your IP address changing though.
  • edited June 2014
    Just to be 100% clear here, DO does charge for a stopped VM. It is clearly answered in their FAQ. If you have a droplet created, it is charged without regard to the state being on or off.

I am not going to link it but will quote it here:
    Am I charged while my droplet is in a powered-off state?

Yes. Your diskspace, CPU, RAM, and IP address are all reserved while your droplet is powered off. If you want to save a droplet for future use take a snapshot of it and then destroy it. You'll be able to create a new droplet from the snapshot image anytime to bring it back online.

___

So if you move to DO to avoid this, you will be none the better in the end. I am using both services and with a few exceptions I prefer Vultr.
  • One correction, Digital Ocean does in fact charge when powered off.

https://www.digitalocean.com/help/pricing-and-billing/

While amazon is great and could possibly save you money if you needed to scale up and down quickly and on a regular basis and in a large server farm, for small instances you may have a difficult time finding as good of a price per resource as Vultr or digital ocean.
  • edited November 2015
    So, I destroyed a server after reading:

> You could always take a snapshot of your instance before destroying it, then restore that snapshot when you're ready to start it again. This would almost certainly result in your IP address changing though.

However, now when I go to the snapshot and click "details" I see:

> Error 502 Ray ID: 240c018c437b2623 • 2015-11-05 22:30:56 UTC Bad gateway

https://my.vultr.com/snapshots/details.php?SNAPSHOTID=cef5626b16138

Does the snapshot get destroyed with the server? Hmmm
  • @Abram The linked snapshot doesn't appear to have any issues.