Use SWAP or not ?

I bring this topic up because DO has this notice

"Although swap is generally recommended for systems utilizing traditional spinning hard drives, using swap with SSDs can cause issues with hardware degradation over time. Due to this consideration, we do not recommend enabling swap on DigitalOcean or any other provider that utilizes SSD storage. Doing so can impact the reliability of the underlying hardware for you and your neighbors. This guide is provided as reference for users who may have spinning disk systems elsewhere.

If you need to improve the performance of your server on DigitalOcean, we recommend upgrading your Droplet. This will lead to better results in general and will decrease the likelihood of contributing to hardware issues that can affect your service."

I use cPanel and ConfigServer recommends to use swap space I have no issue implementing it but just wondered how the community (and staff?) feel about using SWAP with vultr.

Comments

• The Digital Ocean information is pretty out of date. Running swap on SSD hasn't really been an issue for about a decade, given the number of writes an SSD can handle.

Personally, I think you should use swap (or not) based on your memory requirements rather than on concerns for disk performance.
  • I agree.

The cynics out there may suggest DO has an ulterior motive to keeping that info there!
  • You're on a server not a desktop. Use a minimally sized swap file/swap partition of 256M to 512M for stuff the OS considers inactive unless a specific piece of software requires a larger size e.g. Varnish.