Correct/secure way to be able to access var/www/html as non-root sudo user?

Hi guys,

New to vultr and VPS/self hosting in general, always ran with shared hosting so I'm still learning.

I've so far done the following on my Ubuntu 16.04 server

- Created a new user 'simon' for myself and given it sudo privleges.
- Set up SSH private/public key for that user and connected via Putty as I'm on Windows.
- Installed LAMP stack and phpadmin.

Now I'm at the point where I want to upload my website files and such, which I know need to go in var/www/html, or a subdirectory of it. But the new 'simon' user does not have write access to that folder. In googling this issue I've found a lot of confusing and conflicting information and I don't know which to follow.

What is the most secure and safe way to allow the non-root users like this to upload and access the /var/www/html folder?

Also when I do have access to it, what is the correct way to 'point' to it in any program? I figured it would be ~/var/www/html but because I'm logged in as simon, that instead is /home/simon/var/www/html, not what I want.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• If it's just going to be use, simply make yourself the owner of /var/www/html :smile:

chown simon /var/www/html

I assume the read permissions are already ok, because you imply that the "www" user can already read the files put there by "root"

"~" means users home directory - without a user present it point to the current users directory, as you noticed.

So the rest of the path is considered a subdirectory off your user home - again, as you noticed:

e.g. ~/var ... --> /home/simon/var/ ...

~simon/var... --> /home/simon/var/...

~fred/var --> /home/fred/var/... (assuming fred exists, and has a home directory of /home/fred)

To achieve what you want, simply get rid of "~" , i.e. use /var/www....