Delegate subdomain to external DNS server? in Help

edited September 2018 in Help
Hi,

Is there a way to delegate responsibility for a sub-domain to an external DNS server?

I'd like to add an 'A' record on VULTR's DNS server to point a sub-domain to my office network IP and host a BIND server there. It would be used for an internal mail server (*@etc.mydomain.com) and so that local systems all have their own etc.mydomain.com FQDNs (*.etc.mydomain.com). Any office computers querying domains outside the local etc.mydomain.com search domain, for example www.mydomain.com should have their DNS query forwarded to the VULTR DNS server.

As you obviously have guessed, I'm a bit of a novice in this area.

Does anyone have any hints as to what I need to do or if this is even possible with VULTR DNS servers? Or is it something that can be done entirely on the external DNS side and all I need is a single A record to point to it?

Thanks,
E.

Update: Well, I think I've figured out the office side of things and everyone has their internal FQDNs. Made the local DNS zone "etc.mydomain.com" and all the machines "system1.etc.mydomain.com", "system2.etc.mydomain.com", etc.

Now trying to figure out the VULTR DNS part (A/MX) for the office-hosted mail server. I've read that adding a second MX record will only act as a backup, rather than a completely separate mail server.

Update: Nevermind, turned out to be as simple as simple as setting up A records for etc.mydomain.com and mail.etc.mydomain.com, MX record for mail.etc.mydomain.com, then setting up BIND and Postfix on the local office network.
Tagged: