Question about bandwidth billing

Hi. I've been wondering this but couldn't find an answer in the FAQ.

My VPS has 1000GB bandwidth per month. That translates to 1.48GB per hour.

Let's say I've uploaded or downloaded 2GB worth of data to my VPS in an hour, but didn't transfer any data for the remainder of the month (so I'm well below 1000GB). Do I still pay overage charges? Or do I just pay 5$ at the end of the month since I've used under 1000GB?

Comments

• https://www.vultr.com/resources/faq/#bandwidthhourly

also in this link it states: "Note: In some cases it may be less expensive to leave your instance running than to destroy it and be assessed overage charges."

in which cases would this hold true? Why is it sometimes more expensive to destroy an instance?
  • edited June 16
    @baranelitez I'm just a punter like you - I'm not part of Vultr.

The bandwidth allocation is based on how long an instance is active, so the 1000Gb you quote would be for an instance being live for the full month.

If it *is* live for the month, then it doesn't matter when in that month you use it, so to answer your first post, yes you would get charged the $5.00 as you are within your monthly limit.

If you (say) transfer 100Gb in an hour, and then destroy the instance, that would mean the extra 98.52GB used in that hour will be charged as an overuse bandwidth charge.. I'm guessing that an overuse charge for many many GBs would come to more than the $5 cost of keeping the domain live for the month.

(I know with an old mobile contract I had, I could pre-buy an allowance of data for £1 a Gb. If I went over the limit I'd paid for, any continued use would be at £100 a GB!)

Think of "overuse bandwidth" as being a bit like being overdrawn in your bank account, costing you additional overdraft charges as you continue to dip into the overdraft.
  • edited June 16
    Also, if you don't want to be stung with extra bandwidth charges, you can set in your control panel to be alerted via email if you are getting close to the limit.

You can also set it so your network access will be stopped rather than going over the limit, but unfortunately, this is set on a per-account basis rather than per-instance.
  • thanks jamie. That's already set.

Just to make it clear: let's say I download 999 GB in one hour, and then just leave the VPS untouched for the remainder of the month (not destroy it). I still pay 5$ right?
  • Ah, I'm a great fan of using the most extreme example to get clarification, or prove a point, though I'd have written 999.99999GB :-)

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the case, but now you've filled me with doubt!

Best wait for @devicenull or @mike to respond authoratively. If you don't get a response, log a support ticket - then at least you'll have an official response on record.

Cheers!
  • @jamie , I did get a response on my support ticket. Here's an excerpt from it:
    -----
    Please review the following scenarios for clarification:

1. If you use more bandwidth in an hour than would be allotted, and then immediately destroy the instance, you will be assessed overages.

2. If you use more bandwidth in a month than would be allotted, and then destroy the instance at the end of the month, you will be assessed overages.

3. If you use more bandwidth in an hour than would be allotted, but over the course of the entire month use only the allotted bandwidth total, and then destroy the instance at the end of the month, you will not be assessed overages.

If you have any additional questions our team is happy to assist you further.

Kind Regards,
    Mel B.
    Customer Support
    www.VULTR.com
    -----

Number 3 clarifies the question perfectly.
  • @baranelitez Ah... As I thought. Thanks for posting the authorative response though.

cheers