Cloud-init user-data testing

We're working on allowing cloud-init's user-data to be specified during instance deployment. At this point, we could use some additional volunteers to test it.

This is a fairly advanced feature, but you can find some documentation here:

https://coreos.com/docs/cluster-management/setup/cloudinit-cloud-config/
https://cloudinit.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Comments

• Feel free to enable it on my account, although I may not have immediate time to test it.
  • I have been using it at a lot at other providers. I would love to have this enabled.
  • This has been enabled on your accounts.
  • enable on mine too pls
    -cheers.
  • This has been enabled on your account.
  • edited May 2015
    I am actually fooling around with coreos on vultr right now, so feel free to add this beta to my account :)
  • @janek added for your account.
  • edited May 2015
    So far this works as advertised. I did not encounter any problems with the user-data yet. The only thing left is full EC2 meta-data compliance. The SSH-Key should be made available at the meta-data/public-keys endpoint.
  • hello, I would like this feature enabled as well in my account, I was looking for it for some time now. If possible, thank you in advance devicenul
  • @px1mp This feature has been enabled on your account.
  • If you are still looking for volunteers for testing I would like to be added.
  • @enqack This feature has been enabled on your account.
  • I'd like to check this out as well, thanks
  • @oldsj This feature has been enabled on your account.
  • Please enable it on my account
  • @Jhave This feature has been enabled on your account.
  • I would also be interested in this feature, thanks.
  • @MOV_EBX This feature has been enabled on your account.
  • devicenull, can this feature please be enabled on my account?

Thanks
  • It would be great if this feature could be enabled on my account. Lack of user data support would be a major blocker for me fully switching to vultr.
  • @hehaw @mseashor This feature has been enabled on your accounts.
  • I tested user data with CoreOS and Cloud-Init and it's working great.

One comment. It appears that the 'SSH Keys' functionality does not work with user-data/cloud-init. It's not a huge issue as you can just add the "ssh_authorized_keys:..." to the cloud-config file, but it was a bit concerning not being able to access the machines I booted at first. That was the only change I needed to get my cloud-config file working on vultr that was already working on Digital Ocean, so not bad!

In my mind ideal behavior for vultr would be either a GUI fix or behavior fix to better handle this. Details:
    -GUI fix: SSH Keys section is disabled (or a warning added) when user data is utilized on the Deploy page. This would indicate that SSH keys should be added via user-data instead of the Vultr interface.
    -Vultr user data implementation fix: Update the user-data functionality so that SSH Keys are used unless I've added 'ssh_authorized_keys' in user-data. This appears to be how Digital Ocean does it.

Thanks!
    -Matt
  • Also +1 for the (already implemented) functionality that allows updating user-data on an existing server. I wouldn't probably change user-data in production, but for testing its very handy (and not available with DO)!
  • hey, all. may i have this activated on my account too, please? i'm using coreos and this will come in handy for iptables configuration on node restarts.
  • devicenull, can you please enable this for my account too?
  • hi devicenull,
    Please enable this feaute for my account.
    thanks
  • @vakory @cynix @triquang13 This feature has been enabled on your accounts.
  • devicenull,

please enable this feature for my account,

• devicenull, can you please enable this for my account too?
  • I have a feeling I might be needing this soon, for stuff that a startup script just can't do. Can I please get this enabled on my account as well?
This discussion has been closed.