How are OS Templates Configured?

edited June 2015 in Pre Sales Questions
I'm curious about what settings and options are used to configure the templates?

Comments

• Can you elaborate a bit more?

We generally use the default options provided by the operating system, doing as little customization as possible.
  • For example, are there any specific or unusual configuration settings? Or perhaps special software or configurations to make the OS work in the environment?

Basically is an installation from ISO easy and straightforward or is there significant time and headache savings going with the pre-configured template?
  • Whether the installation from ISO is straight forward or not will depend a lot on which operating system you install and your experience. From what I have seen, Vultr does very little customization. The benefit you get from using their images is that the OS is automaticalyl set up for you and requires no installation, just post-install configuration.
  • @umnikke8 The only thing that Vultr KVMs don't emulate are the disks/network so you need to use an OS that works with the virtio drivers. That includes FreeBSD and most Linux distros out of the box. For windows you need to sideload them.

I build all my 'permanent' instances from source, and the FreeBSD iso's install smoothly with no issues.
  • I've tried a lot of different ISOs out including Dragonfly BSD, OpenBSD, Oracle Linux 7.0, OpenSUSE LEAP 42, Alpine Linux, etc...and they all have ran really smooth with no issues I'm actually surprised at just how well VULTR's custom ISO option works and it really is an amazing feature.