Dedicated Cloud

When are we likely to see dedicated cloud rolled out to other locations?

Would love to see it in Sydney, DDOS protection + Dedicated resources would be brilliant

Comments

• We are currently in the middle of expanding our VDC capacity in NJ as it's been a pretty popular item! After that is completed, we would like to add some additional POPs later this year.
  • @mike

I'm confused about the dedicated boxes. Am I always the only person on the box at all times?

Asked another way, if I bought a 4cpu/16ram box - will anyone else be on that physical box even though it appears I'm only using 50% of the available box (assumption is that the physical box has 8cpu/32ram total ... or am I on a physical box that ONLY has 4cpu/16ram if that's what I buy?)
  • Yes, other people may be on the same physical machine. However, the resources you purchased are dedicated to you, they would not be shared with anyone else.
  • edited July 2015
    @devicenull

I'm confused, if you purchase a Dedicated Cloud server (and pay a premium for it since it's "Dedicated" to you) yet you are still *sharing* the same physical machine resources with other customers ... how is the "Dedicated" Cloud offering any different than the VPS Compute Instance?
  • With the dedicated cloud servers, the resources you purchase are entirely dedicated to you. While you're sharing the same machine, you are not sharing the resources (for example, if you purchase a dedicated plan with 4 CPUs, no one else is using those CPUs).
  • edited July 2015
    @devicenull @mike

I'm still confused on the Dedicated vs VPS since in the "dedicated" offering, you are still "sharing" resources (seems like a poor choice of naming).

Can you summary with a Yes or No to the following...

Dedicated, are the following resources shared on the Physical Server:
    ==========================================
    - CPU (shared/not-shared) ?
    - RAM (shared/not-shared) ?
    - HardDisk (shared/not-shared) ?
    _ Network Port (shared/not-shared) ?

VPS, are the following resources shared on the Physical Server:
    ======================================
    - CPU (shared/not-shared) ?
    - RAM (shared/not-shared) ?
    - HardDisk (shared/not-shared) ?
    _ Network Port (shared/not-shared) ?
  • edited July 2015
    @jessie

Dedicated, are the following resources shared on the Physical Server:
    ==========================================
    - CPU (shared/not-shared) ? Cores are dedicated to guest.
    - RAM (shared/not-shared) ? Not shared
    - HardDisk (shared/not-shared) ? Not shared, SSD is only used by your instance.
    _ Network Port (shared/not-shared) ? Shared physical port(s), dedicated bw allocation.
  • Hi,
    Is the Hardisk is raid protected in the virtual dedicated server ?

• Hello,

If you need RAID for dedicated cloud, we recommend choosing 2 or more disks and setting up your own RAID configuration!
  • When will the dedicated computer be available in more than just New York and Japan?
  • edited February 2016
    @jasonf we do not have an official ETA on adding additional capacity but we are currently examining expanding availability in Europe
  • Hopefully this would happen soon.