Tutorials for managing

edited September 2015 in Pre Sales Questions
Hello.

I don't have any experience with VPS, all i've used before is shared hosting.

All I need to host is a Wordpress website and of course configure the domain (which I alreaady own) and emails. And of course, I'd need to assure the security.

My question is how hard would it be to learn all of this and also is there any link where I can find a "step-by-step" tutorial to learn everything I need?

I found the docs at vultr, but I'm not sure where to start on those or even exactly what i'd need.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hi!

I almost guarantee an employee will drop by to mention that vultr services are unmanaged. :)

To answer your other questions however, what you are looking for is normally referred to as a "LAMP Stack".

This consists of Linux, Apache, mySQL and PHP.

If you look under your deployment options under Application, there are quite a few options. Handily there is a premade image for a wordpress site, which should deal with the tedious steps of setting up a box, configuring/securing, optimizing, then finally installing wordpress.

If you opt to not go the one-click route, as you've mentioned the vultr docs do indeed have step by step instructions ( https://www.vultr.com/docs/search/?query=wordpress )

As for emails, normally it would be a case of installing and configuring two applications called postfix and dovecot, as well as bind9 (to manage your DNS).

Keep in mind the following:
    - Manually configuring all of the above would be _extremely_ daunting for a beginner.
    - Google is an amazing resource.
    - Keep your VPS up-to-date through the package manager (yum, zypper, apt, etc) to avoid common pitfalls regarding security vulnerabilities.
    - Look into "Hardening" your system via suhosin, iptables, etc

Last but definitely not least:
    If any of the above is confusing, Google the confusing part. ;)

Hopefully that answered a question or two, and gave you 20 more. that's where the fun starts. :D
  • Hi Arffeh!

I understand the service is unmanaged and I was not asking for anyone to manage it for me, I was just hoping someone would take a few minutes to give a direction for a begginer like me (maybe begginer is an overstatement my current skills lol) to go search and learn.

I really want to thank you A LOT for your help. After reading your answer, I can say that confused is an understatement lol but you gave me exactly what I was looking for - to understand at least the names of what I should be searching and trying to learn!

Again, thank you for your help!
  • All good! :)

Good luck on your headache inducing journey. :)
  • Can I pay all one year for the VPS?
  • @miosotico Yes, you can pre-pay/deposit one year's worth of credits into your account. The running cost of your instance will not change as long as the instance is not destroyed.