Upgrade and downgrade RAM and vCPU cores on demand via console and API in Features and Ideas

edited June 2016 in Features and Ideas
It would be great if using the API or console, we could upgrade and downgrade RAM and vCPU cores on demand. Like everything else, they'd be charged per hour.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned before.

Comments

• I just found this post in another article by Arffeh, in October 2014.

He makes a good point here. I had not thought of it this way... I am happy to close this request. It would possibly cause more issues than it's worth.

If the server you are sitting on doesn't have the resources to perform an upgrade, you are NOT allowed to upgrade.

For instance, the VM I have in Sydney is not allowed to upgrade, because the host it's sitting on is full. There is no oversubscribing, regardless of upgrade/downgrade. It's not a matter of a spare pool of resources. It's first come, first serve. If I want to get a bigger VM, there's nothing stopping me from redeploying an image to get a new host.

Edit:
    As a sidenote, I am thankful beyond belief that there is no silly "predictive' resource management, and that every host is simply a hard limit. If some twat decided to do a huge upgrade on the host I'm on and threw out the performance/timings of my VM at sydney, I'd be fuming.

This is VM management done right. vultr is seriously amazing, and the way they manage resources is absolutely perfect.
  • Hi Arffeh,
    I understand why this idea would not work and would jeopardize the stability of the entire network.

This can be closed.