why is cloud-init no longer enabled on ubuntu images?

edited December 2016 in Help
doesnt appear any cloud config works now, cloud-init is not installed by default on ubuntu images

(cloud-init was enabled on my account some time ago)
I have checked all ubuntu images and no cloud-init present on server setup and cannot use user-data via api. What is going on?

Comments

• Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We released an update last week to Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 16.04 that removed the cloud-init software from our base images. This was done to prepare Vultr for some upcoming new features.

The user-data feature will still be enabled on your account. If you're using cloud-config scripts however, you'd need to install cloud-init and configure it, then reboot. This can be achieved by using the Vultr start-up script feature, or making your own snapshot. Depending on how you're using cloud-init for provisioning, you may find it worthwhile to switch to Vultr startup scripts, as this is a feature that we test across our entire operating system offering (cloud-init was only supported on select operating systems, such as Ubuntu).
  • Seems a bit crazy to me to remove cloud-init, it is much better than using a static startup script if u can pass user-data then cloud-init should be enabled on the image. It beats having multiple static startup scripts any day. Why on earth would you remove it?

I really cant use startup scripts for what i am doing it is way too much hassle. If cloud-init isn't coming back then i will have to do this on digitalocean.

• edited December 2016
    well the snapshot with cloud-init installed works. I guess it is not ideal though as you are adding the extra time to copy the snapshot before cloud-init starts you configuration proper. For me now that is about doubling the time from initial creation to the node being ready.

I guess for now it will do but just having cloud-init on the base ubuntu image would be better.

Literally all i did was install an ubuntu 16.04 then apt-get install cloud-init and save the snapshot. There was no other configuration needed for cloud-init it was default.

Hopefully these 'new features' will not include removing user-data, that would not be a feature...in fact it would mean instantly abandoning vultr.
  • Hello again,

I agree, the cloud-init cloud-config provisioning script is useful as a basic provisioning tool on the systems that support it. However, the software was conflicting with our goals, so we opted to remove it and let our users install it if they needed it. We try our best not to make software changes that impact customers, which is why I apologize that this issue has affected you. Fortunately, being able to set customer "userdata" is not something that we're planning on removing in the near future.
  • >the software was conflicting with our goals

What's the endgoal?
    Kind of curious if I should be excited for something potentially awesome.
    As always I'm happy to beta test. :D
  • This is a very strange decision. Provisioning tools rely on cloud-init. I'd like to hear what the reasoning behind this decision is.
  • Hi @maul

What feature is coming? I've been building startup scripts to take care of some things, but if something better is coming I don't want to waste any more time.

Cheers,
    Ryan
  • edited October 26

For anyone looking here, thanks to @iainsgillis (apologies if that wasn't you) for opening a bug in launchpad (LP: #1901458) . There is now an upstream pull request to better support cloud-init at #628.

cloud-init still does not have native support for vultr, but the change will remove the warning described at https://www.vultr.com/docs/ubuntu-16-04-images-report-errors-about-ec2-metadata-service.

This discussion has been closed.