Sydney DC Slow Download

edited February 2016 in Help
Hi Everyone,

I have had issues with slow download to my vm's in the Sydney DC, update and ping is fine just slow download. Anyone else having issues?

Thanks,

TheFatHacker

Comments

• Where are you downloading from?
    Have you run other tests, pulling down from other servers/address?

I haven't noticed any slowdown in any of the nodes in Sydney myself.

Thanks-
    Andrew.
  • Generally, anywhere

I have only been get 20mb/s down on beta.speedtest from a several servers but 500Mb/s+ up and 1ms ping,

That is on a $20 server instance running server 2012 r2, my ubuntu web server is having issues even downloading sentora
  • This is the kind of thing that's really better handled via a ticket then on the forums. If you do open a ticket, please include a traceroute/MTR to/from your server.
  • I did talk to support but is seems to be a PFSense related issue.

I had no issue with IPFire as I firewall appliance. It seems to be a combination of PFSense/BSD and the VirtIO drivers/KVM.

Has anyone else come accross this before?
  • IIRC, disable TSO on the virtual NIC and your throughput should improve. The FreeBSD virtio driver has problems with this.
  • Err, no change...

if only ipfire wasnt so clumsy
  • Hi,
    Have you disabled
    - Hardware checksum offloading
    - TCP Hardware Segmentation offload
    Im currently running a few Pfsense nodes, and those options have generally solved my issues.
    If you are putting nodes behind the instance, make sure you are setting the correct MTU, It makes a big difference :)

Andrew.
  • Thanks AHBIT and devicenull,

The default install of 2.2.6 had TSO and LRO off by default,

The issue was resolved by also disable hardware checksum offloading, I now get ~600 down and ~600 up.

Thanks Again, TheFatHacker